The days are counting up and the government is still shut down!! We are now on day 14 and as the days go on I think the news is getting more and more ridiculous. So what does this mean for you? I hopped over to USA.gov/shutdown to get caught up on some much needed information. Here is a list of things you should know concerning the government shutdown.
1) Vital services that ensure seniors and young children have access to healthy food and meals may not have sufficient Federal funds to serve all beneficiaries in an extended lapse.
2) Call centers, hotlines and regional offices that help veterans understand their benefits will close to the public.
3) Veterans’ compensation, pension, education, and other benefits could be cut off in the case of an extended shutdown.
4) Every one of America’s national parks and monuments, from Yosemite to the Smithsonian to the Statue of Liberty, will be immediately closed.
- New applications for small business loans and loan guarantees will be immediately halted.
- Research into life-threatening diseases and other areas will stop, and new patients won’t be accepted into clinical trials at the National Institutes of Health.
- Work to protect consumers, ranging from child product safety to financial security to the safety of hazardous waste facilities, will cease. The EPA will halt non-essential inspections of chemical facilities and drinking water systems.
- Permits and reviews for planned energy and transportations projects will stop, preventing companies from working on these projects. Loans to rural communities will be halted.
- Hundreds of thousands of Federal employees including many charged with protecting us from terrorist threats, defending our borders, inspecting our food, and keeping our skies safe will work without pay until the shutdown ends.
- Hundreds of thousands of additional federal workers will be immediately and indefinitely furloughed without pay.
How do you feel about the shutdown? comment, like, share….